Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Laws of Power: 2- Never Put to much Trust in Friends, Learn How to Use Enemies

It's funny to me when I look around and see people putting these various "laws" into use.   This one to me is one of the harsher ones.  I'm a big fan of my friends.  Still, I have seen people 's friends tear them to shreds and I've also seen other people  turn enemies into assets.

2- Never put to much trust in friends, learn how to use enemies


Be wary of friends- they can betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy. They also have a tendency to become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal then a friend ever was, because he is grateful for the opportunity. In fact you have more to fear from friends then enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to pick up a few.






In the year 959AD, the chinese General Chao K'uang became the emperor of China. He knew that in all likelihood he would only have a year or two to live because that was how things were going. Someone would become Emperor only to be murdered by a rival and another Emperor raised. So after being made Emperor K'uang decided to try a new strategy. He held an banquet and got everyone roaring drunk. The other Generals feared he was going to either kill them or have them killed as was the trend with a new Emperor. Instead K'uang offered them all fine estates and riches to spend there days. The generals were so amazed that they all retired and became nobles in his court. With their riches tied to the throne they became supporters of his rather then plotting to have him killed and replaced.

In the work place, it is hard to have friends working for you. I've seen this time and time again. You hire a good friend or you get promoted ahead of a friend and suddenly you have this employee who expects to receive special treatment. When you treat them like everyone else suddenly it's not about the job, it's about your relationship. Even the most asinine of bosses have a tendency to be lighter handed on a friend at work. Oftentimes in the end, it is that friend who is the most willing to spread rumors and to complain about your leadership.

I've also seen the amazing work that can be done by rivals, when you use their talents well. You'll see this a lot in corporations when they buy a company that they used to compete with. Instead of firing the old management staff, they will keep them in place and sometimes even promote them. The staff who's jobs have remained become this loyal work force. Unfortunately, most corporations forget this law and instead just fire everyone, pissing everyone off and creating more enemies.

Of course having enemies does more to build you up in certain ways then having friends (I love my friends, but...). An enemies has no problem pointing out your character flaws and weak points thereby allowing you to work on those areas. Friends have a tendency to blow smoke up your ass, telling you often what they think you want to hear or just accepting you as who you are and not really challenging you to be anything more. Why settle for mediocrity when most people have the potential to achieve greatness?

At a catering company I once worked for, the owner started out with his brother as a partner. His brother walked out on him after a few months only to return years later with a lawyer and demanding his half of the now successful business. It destroyed the business in the end and also the owner. Nothing like a beloved family member (they had been really close growing up) betraying you to help with the stress and your general health.

At Reebok I managed to use this well. The girlfriend of my manager (who I had problems with) worked for us. Eventually the manager was transferred to another store (big corporate thing, long sad tale and I was the cause of it). I made it known, after he left, that I believed she was a valued asset to the store and was instrumental in getting her a raise. Suddenly she, whom had hated me, was a good friend. She spoke well of me when I was later accused of stealing and also informed me who had accused me (it was another manager who's ass I'd saved a couple of times... refer to rule 1).

"Lord, protect me from my friends: I can take care of my enemies."
~Voltaire, 1694-1778

No comments:

Post a Comment