Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Laws of Power #1 Never Outshine the Master



In life there are ways that people have used to get ahead throughout history. Some are interesting and others are down right Machiavellian.  Several years ago I began a project to post these "Laws of Power" in another journal. Somewhere along the way, I just stopped. I have decided to try it again.

Please be aware that these are from the book by Steven Greene, "The 48 Laws of Power".   At times I will edit and/or add my own opinion on utilization of these "Laws".  Also note that I am not endorsing the utilization of any of these laws but rather I feel it is important to be aware of the games people play in order to get you to do what they wish.  

I can show you the information but I can't tell you how, when or why to utilize it.

Never outshine the Master:

Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go to far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the exact opposite, that is, inspire fear and insecurity. Make your superiors appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power.






In 1610 Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter. Instead of just taking the credit, he instead divided the discovery among his patrons (sponsors if you will). To one he gave the telescope he used, to another he dedicated a book, and to others he made them a part of the discovery in other ways. He focused on the Medici's because they were the most powerful of his patrons. Also Jupiter (the God) was one of the symbols of the Medici family. So he made this discovery a huge event that honored the Medici's. In the end it allowed Galileo to become the official court philosopher and mathematician for Cosimo II.
This worked because he made his patrons, whom had done nothing but give him funding, feel and look as if they had been more important to the discovery then they had been. He made them feel superior.

This law involves two parts. First: You must be careful not to inadvertently out shine your superiors. Some people are just uncomfortable with the fact that some of their employees may be smarter and/or more able then they are. Second: Never think that just because you are loved by your superiors that you can do anything you want. To often in history we see examples of favored servants and employees whom have had the affection of a superior turned against them.



In 16th century Japan, a peasant, Sen no Rikyu was the favorite of the Emperor Hideyoshi. Sen no Rikyu was one of the Emperor's most trusted advisers and a master of the Tea Ceremony. He had his own apartments in the royal palace, an honor rarely given to anyone. then one year Senno Rikyu had a statue made of himself standing regally and wearing sandals (only nobles wore sandals). The Emperor seeing this decided he had gone above himself and had Sen no Rikyu arrested and put to death.

"When the evening begin, Fouquet was on top of the world. By the time it had ended, he was at the bottom."
~Voltaire

(The above refers to a favorite of the young Louis XIV, the Sun King until he made himself look more wealthy then the king.)



I have used this law personally on several occasions.  Let me just relate one of them to you.

When I begin working for a foster family agency, I was hired as a driver.  As a driver I was paid additional monies each month based on my mileage.  The office I worked out of had a general policy that your mileage started from your house but for me they changed that rule and told me that my mileage had to start from the main office which I live about an hour away from.  I agreed and for the first 6 months or so, it was to their advantage that I was effectively not getting paid for several hundred miles a month.  For me it was cool. I was in college near the office and it was just a part time gig.

After 6 months things changed.  Suddenly a lot of my driving was actually in the area I lived in but according to my contract I had to take mileage based as if I left from and returned to the home office.  That was effectively giving me an additional 100 miles plus every time I did one of those jobs.  I was suddenly making good money based on mileage alone mainly because they were making me base my mileage from their main office.   I even mentioned it to them when I would go to turn in my mileage.   But in their smugness they thought they were outsmarting me. 

This went on for another year and a half until one day the owner noticed one of my mileage checks (which she always signed).  A new contract was written up and I was "encouraged" to sign it.  I worked another two weeks and then moved on.  But I still had to laugh to myself that when they thought I was the one losing out on money it was all good.  Once they realized they had actually outsmarted themselves it became an issue. 



-Saint

PS:  In the laws of power there is also a reverse of the law which can be effective as well.  Or in some cases there will be another law which tells you to do something totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment